Thursday, December 27, 2012

on community.

I celebrated Christmas with my girls on the morning of the 24th. After opening gifts, they broke out the Just Dance 4 while I made cinnamon rolls and sipped a mimosa. We had more than enough, so I took some down to a neighbor I barely know, along with the remaining champagne and orange juice. She invited me in, motioning toward the kitchen. It was farm-like and charming, with nice windows, a brick wall, and dinner remnants from the night before. I set the warm rolls on the stove and took a seat at the small table, endeared by junk mail and bills scattered across its surface. She scooted them aside, making space for a fresh container of blackberries as she offered me a cup of instant coffee. She took a seat across from me, her red fuzzy robe wrapped loosely around black and white striped cotton pajamas. We chatted about our daughters, an imperfect school system, and the lack of community in a university town focused on students. I could tell she was smart and successful, with strong ideas about education and the social structure of our community that fails to demand more of itself. It was all true, but foreboding.

I wanted to stop her and the sadness that was now pervading our conversation, even though what she was saying was completely accurate. I wanted to say, you know, we’re here right now, neighbors who barely know each other, sharing cinnamon rolls and blackberries on Christmas Eve. This is where it starts. We can't demand more of ourselves as a community until we demand more of ourselves as human beings, as neighbors. We don’t have to subscribe to cynicism – regardless of its reality – to appear intelligent or create positive change. And, then I got thinking about cynicism and my own tendency to fear and not embrace the good in my life.  I wonder if, like Brene Brown says, it is a fear of actually feeling joy, “because we are so keenly aware that it’s fleeting”. It’s like a way of protecting ourselves…. “it is easier to live disappointed than to feel disappointed” – like we’re beating it to the punch by numbing our vulnerability in order to avoid the feeling of pain and loss. But, when we numb the bad, we numb the good. Even though "our capacity for joy is only as great as our willingness to feel pain and sadness." We can’t have one without the other and to avoid one means avoiding the other. When we focus on the lack, like say, community, we might not see it when it is right in front of us.

A solo Christmas Day meant sleeping in and good beer.  I really wasn’t sad, but there were a few times when I felt like I should be sad. Halfway through the day, I went to our hospital to try and visit people without family or visitors. No one was alone - which was a good thing - but I left feeling a little disappointed, as though I didn't really make a difference, which sounds awful, as though my intentions were more about me and not truly altruistic. Perhaps I was also looking for significance, but I did want to make people happy and see them smile. And, I didn't want to sit around and bemoan what used to be. I am afraid talking about it negates the good deed, as though it was just for "vainglory" as my upbringing suggests, but I do want to inspire people and I do want to reread this and remember the joy I felt anticipating creating smiles, so I guess I will leave it at that. Looking back, I wish now that I had sat down with the random man playing Christmas carols at the lobby piano or joined the family of the struggling woman who was just diagnosed with cancer.

I suppose I still can.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Carin, you are back and bringing raw tears to my eyes. beautiful and honest. I so appreciate your writing and truth behind each word. Such an inspiration. Continue to be you. In the face of vulnerability and hardship, there is honesty, growth and love

Just me said...

Merry Christmas, Carin.

Here you are writing out your own thoughts and somehow writing our ours too. I loved this post.

I think we should and must interrupt our neighbours from their sadness and say, hey, right now we're sharing cinnamon rolls, isn't this good. I guess you too learn and are learning that all we have is this moment, and if it's good, let's celebrate this here and now, and worry about the worry later. We will never know how many more good moments we have coming, but we need to recognise this one.

Wishing you joy and looking forward to your next posts.

Ali in Switzerland

LeeAnn said...

That was beautiful. Merry Christmas.

phyllis nobles said...

every year will get better, this i promise you. because every year you will get better at being you. christmas - divorce - will not defeat the wonderfulness that is you. xx

Anonymous said...

Carin,
I'm delurking, finally! I just wanted to tell you that you're a beautiful writer, and I hope that 2013 will be a fulfilling and kind year for you.
Merry Christmas,
Megan

Carin said...

Thank you!

Nice to meet you, Megan!

Anonymous said...

Also delurking... Your writting is so raw and so real. So glad I 'found' you. You are very brave. Keep doing what you're doing. Wishing you all the best in 2013.

~Diana

Anonymous said...

An other delurker (is that even a word?)...thank you for this post. A million times thank you. Have a beautiful 2013 filled with joy and all that comes with joy.

t

Carin said...

welcome, t.

Laura Railing said...

Carin, I love your blog. I know you probably think of it as "just" a blog but it's not. It's beautiful and refreshing and insightful. And, numbers nothing. Numbers and subscribers don't define having a great blog. Truly. Sometimes greatness is not found in the thousands of noticed but quietly in the corner. I am thankful I found yours. It is now on my favorites. Praying for you that 2013 brings some happiness, peace and wonderful things your way. You totally deserve to smile. Looking forward to more posts from you!

Carin said...

Thank you, Laura :)

Kristen Maddux said...

You know, it's funny, because I have thought of this very thing so many times. Also, have been caught in a spiraling negative conversation when I was just trying to nice! :)
But back to the community thing... I was so spoiled during college and after when my husband and I lived in the stars-hollowesqe little town our college was in for several years after marriage. Easy, beautiful community abounded there. Spontaeous conversations in bookstores over coffee. Church small groups that REALLY loved people. Brilliant professor-type mentors, it all just existed with no effort. I was SPOILED, I realize quickly when we left it all and moved to a big city nine years ago thinking that kind of thing would be easy to find again in our new town. Right. There were many tears and many, many "lets just move BACK's!!"
But that never worked out. So here we are.
And I think about this a lot. I miss community like that.
But I've come to a similar conclusion. It will never be as easy as it was then. Yet, I can do *something* about it. (It's maybe even a little selfish to expect it to just happen around me all the time!) So I've started opening up my home more (something I've never been great at), asking people to coffee, Bible Studies, befriending (mentoring?) an awesome 20 year old newlywed girl. Stuff like that. It has to start somewhere. It won't ever be what I had, but it's better than nothing!