Sunday, January 06, 2013

parishioner ponderings.

I went to church today.

Around 9:45 this morning, I jumped online to find the website for the Unitarian Universalist Church of Greater Lansing and see what time their service started. 10:15. A slow, hot bath with coffee suddenly sounded appealing. And then I found this. I've seen my share of church bulletins declaring how everyone is welcome and to see something suggesting why I might not like this place was definitely a draw. They are who they are. No Church Beer Club promotion or eyebrow ring-adorned pastor to bring in the masses. Not that I don't like beer or eyebrow rings, because I do. But I've been to churches where they seemed liberal on the outside, pulling you in with their hipster vibe, only to find their theology is conservative and archaic. Which, I feel like I should add, works for some but not for me. This seemed honest. Unapologetic. They don't just accept the gays, they love the gays. In fact, many probably are gay. I threw on some clothes, made a pot of coffee, and ran out the door with my travel mug.

I arrived about 15 minutes late to the sound of laughter as a George Carlin video called Stuff was playing, and found a seat in the back row. A woman walked by wearing a t-shirt that said, "Careful, you might end up in my novel," and smiled.

When the laughing died down, it was time for "Candles of Joy and Sorrow" - a time for parishioners to light a candle for a specific joy or sadness. "We were created for both joy and woe," the woman said. I bet she reads Brene Brown. I watched as participants walked to the front. I tried to figure which emotion each was commemorating and remembered the irony of waiting for divorce papers to be signed as the couple beside us waited for their marriage license.

The message was by a guest speaker and was titled The Free Sign. He began by elaborating a bit on the George Carlin video and went on to talk about our obsession, as Americans, with stuff. I laughed out loud as he talked about a time he and his wife were carrying an old couch out to the road and a woman stopped before they had even reached the curb, leaving her kids as collateral as she ran for a truck.

Anyway, it was all about giving and community. It was good. He talked about quantum physics and how the entire universe is actually a series of probabilities. Cinnamon rolls and poinsettias came to mind. He elaborated, adding that giving changes us, changes the universe. He reinforced all of this with real stories of how lives have been changed when others choose to give. He didn't necessarily deny the existence of something greater, but denied the idea of this grand omnipotent god and focused more on being creators of our own experience. I liked.

I was about to leave when a woman in her fifties put her hand on my shoulder, likely sensing that I was new.

"My name is Kathleen," she said. "I've been attending since May and I really like it here. I'm an atheist, but I wanted something more. I wanted direction. Inspiration. Community."

I swallowed a lump in my throat and told myself the sound of violins in the distance was not real. I have a tendency to get caught up in the emotion of the moment and sign my life on the dotted line - kind of like watching an infomercial for the Omega juicer on QVC and being convinced it is going to change not just my diet, but my whole life. Such revelations are often followed by plans to become an Omega saleswoman and make millions selling Omegas. Balance isn't natural for me. I think I honestly sat there, tearfully contemplating becoming a Unitarian minister as the postlude played, quickly realizing I may very likely lose interest in going altogether and feel dumb when my friends laugh and say, hey, remember that time you were were going to be a clergywoman?

So, I'm not going all gung ho. But, I kind of want to go back.  At the very least, I feel like I have a place I can go when I want to go.

I realize it's common for women who have played a dependent role in relationships to go flying to the other side of the spectrum and be fiercely independent when they become aware of the part they played. And, I probably have. I will probably always be somewhat of a loner, but I am realizing the need for more balance and interdependence.

Perhaps I am making my way there. Since my divorce, I have realized my own power, the process of which has been terrifying yet exhilarating. When you're alone with little to fall back on, you have no other choice but to grow some balls and figure it out. There just isn't another option. And, when you get there, you don't ever want to give anyone power again. Not a man. Not even a god. In the process of becoming independent, you can become a hardass. But, I don't ever want to get too hard. Like Kathleen, I do sometimes want more, whether I ever believe in a higher power again or not. I want to be part of something bigger than myself.

This may very well be another phase. A whim. My Unitarian fad.

Sigh.

Not all who wander are lost...

23 comments:

mrc-w said...

Carin! I love the UU church in East Lansing!! We go there sometimes and it is wonderful!

Olivia said...

I, myself, have wanted to attend a church although I'm not sure how I feel about organized religion anymore. I went to church my whole life... then my brother did drugs and told everyone he was Jesus and went to a mental institute for a whole year while I was in high school. It was rough... why couldn't he say he was sponge bob, I said.? <-- that's not a joke.

Anyways, kids laughed, made jokes... while my brother was basically dead to me. I remember Easter Sunday getting up from my seat in church, feeling more alone than ever... and calling my Dad to come get me from church. I couldn't stand it anymore... so he did, and I haven't been back. On the way home he told me I may change my mind someday... he told me it's okay to have questions and be unsure.

A personal relationship with God... PERSONAL. So why is everything so black and white within some churches? I haven't been because well- I want to be the one to answer the questions my children have.

Our motto is... God is love. That's it. It's not complicated.

Sorry I dumped all over your post. Something just got into me.

Carin said...

Did they do jazz hands instead of clapping?

Kathy said...

Honestly, my heart did a little flop when I read, "I went to church," after reading along with you as you've journeyed from where you were in the evangelical movement, to now. But UU can be a beautiful place of true welcoming, from the good things I've heard. I think we're always evolving and trying things on to find a good fit. This may be a good fit, it may not, but it rocks that you were brave and tried something new.

Carin said...

Don't be sorry. I'll probably feel the same way in a month and want to delete this post.

Barb said...

Lol. Jazz hands. Relating to the part about not wanting to give anyone your power, not even a God. Ive so been there.

B.

Tali said...

I love this and swear I know Kathleen. I call her Mama Kate and she's amazing. I can't believe we have never met in this community of ours. Looks like it's about time!

Anonymous said...

So you checked it out huh? Eager to hear more about it. I have to say that I may be as leary of atheists as I am of conservative christians... or any other organized religion. I have come to one conclusion... which led to many other questions. It may be time to hash it out again under the blankets on my couch or yours;-)

Lindsay

Anonymous said...

~Love~

One of the great things about Unitarianism is that it doesn't lend itself to fanaticism. So even if you're feeling lukewarm about it sometimes, that's totally okay. I think you *will* find community and inspiration there, though--even if it isn't completely what you expect 100% of the time. Best wishes to you.

Susan said...

Loved reading this post. I am finishing up my Masters in Social Work degree from Western Michigan. I am 37, nearly 38, and have been a Christian since I was 15. I believe in Jesus Christ. But, I feel that in the last two years that faith has been challenged, debated, ridiculed and examined. Some by classmates and some by me. I can't manage to stomach sitting around a bible study table talking about my faith anymore. It literally makes me nauseous. I like to live my faith out in the community. I am interning for the child trauma assessment center, we assess kids in foster care who have been through horrific realities both in their own families and by the system. I see and hear and sit with such profound sadness and lose each week and I can't quite reconcile leaving that space and just going to church and worrying about my own fate. I want to live like Christ did, which is never like most of the people in any given church on any given Sunday live their lives. I am tired of the crap and I am also tired of feeling like I need to save everyone. Of course, being raised in the church, I have profound guilt over not caring if my neighbor believes that Jesus was the son of God or not. I am moving more towards loving people like Jesus would and letting them make up their own minds without me cramming bibles and scripture down their throats. Woah..ramble much?! Sorry, been heavy on my soul as of late..
Susan

Anonymous said...

so...
how do you just, go to church?
i've never been.
and i'm curious.
but i don't know how.

that's a lie.
i went to my HS bf's communnion.
people stood. and knelt. and sat.
and ate wafers.

i was told to sit.
and listen to the message about abstinence to a church full of 16 year olds.

so...
how do i go?



24

Anonymous said...

Great post! I too have a history of getting a little to eager about something only to drop it completely a few months later. But hey, I think think there are some perks to being an easily excitable person.

katie said...

i love this post.

Janita said...

Loved this post, Carin...particularly the reminder of the distinction between "inter" and independent. I enjoy going to church, if not for the reminder to be silent for a spell and listen. Really listen. To whom, or what, is up to each individual. It's a reminder of community and thinking of the greater good instead of yourself, which in essence, sounds like the message you heard about giving.
ps. why don't you combine your ToastMaster skills with your fleeting desire to be clergywoman and do a guest preach? (guest preach...WTF is that). It'd be a balls-to-the-wall barn burner!!! As always, thanks. For your honesty, humour and insights. I think you're awesome. Janita

LW said...

I have been lurking here for awhile, but this is my first comment. I am happy that you checked out a UU; when we do go to church here in VA, it's a UU. As a disenchanted ex-Catholic, I have found it to be everything I didn't realize I still needed without making me anxious with reminders of the things I ran from. Even if you choose not to return, I'm glad your experience was a good one.

I love your blog. Thanks for being out there.

Anonymous said...

There are so many of us that want something from church that doesn't involve making women (and men I am sure) but mostly women feel like sh*t. I don't understand organized religion. Again thank you, you have a beautiful voice.

t

Unknown said...

I hope you don't delete this post.

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I've ever read a post that resonated with me for than this one. Thank you.

Carin said...

Lisa,

Thank you for commenting.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is called Pap Smear. Tell me that is intentional and I just might have to love you.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is called Pap Smear. Tell me that is intentional and I just might have to love you.

Carin said...

Anonymous...

intentional, yes.

Adriana Iris said...

Last church I became a member was the UU church. I loved it. Still do. When I wish to commune with spiritual peeps in a building I go to the UU. The UU church in Savannah prides itself at the fact that Jingle Bells was composed there. So they call it the Jingle Bells UU. ;)