Saturday, January 05, 2013

community, take two.

French Roast in the French press this morning as I listened to this...

So, I'm feeling a bit more balanced and less rebellious today about vulnerability. I am still an advocate, but for the safe, for the worthy.

Just after I wrote about community, it is as if community exploded. I joined the PTA. I started a massive neighborhood association. I held a street party complete with dj and ice artists.

I actually didn't do any of those things. But I did have dinner with Barb. I found a poinsettia on my porch. I met a new friend who is cut from the same cloth - because she was vulnerable and took a risk. I danced all night NYE with new friend and later sipped whiskey with strangers in a fantastic condo while conversing about Harris, Hitchens, and Dawkins.

I had an especially lovely happy hour with Karen Stock from Black Lake. She has been a helpful resource as I think about career goals and such. What was intended to be a discussion about communications and public relations turned out to be a conversation about life. From there, I grabbed two of my kids and headed over to my new friend's house where we sat beneath blankets and talked for hours about the Bible, Alain de Botton, and Russian novelists.

Perhaps when we extend community, it really does come back to us.

I am inspired. For more inspiration (in particular, being vulnerable, feeling joy, and embracing the good in life), watch this:


(I later found out the poinsettia was from my neighbor with whom I had shared cinnamon rolls)

3 comments:

Barb said...

I think many of us can learn from Maurice. How to be gracious, kind and selfless for starters. What a great video, very inspirational as are your words. XOXOX

Anonymous said...

I love him even more now. Thank you for sharing that.

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

You are such a free, sweet spirit. I'm so proud to know you. And you know I'm a whore for your writing :)