Monday, July 08, 2013

day trip







































































Someday when my girls have grown and I am looking back wondering where the time went, I will remember times like these. We took a spontaneous day trip to Lake Michigan. While Somer slept in the backseat, Savannah drove and talked as I navigated and listened. I relished the conversation, not wishing to be anywhere but exactly where I was (except maybe the driver seat). Later on the beach, I relished Somer's little girlness, as she repeatedly asked me to watch her handstands and underwater front flips, knowing it won't be long before she, too, joins her sisters in adolescence.

After time on the beach, we drove into town, walked through shops and got something to eat. The only thing that could have made the day better was the addition of Syd which means we'll just have to do it again.

Special thanks to a desperate English teacher who is reminding me how fast daughters grow up.

7 comments:

phyllis nobles said...

this blog post is 2 seconds old and so I win the prize of getting to read and comment first. You never disappoint me. Ever. Love the timing with which you're catching these water photos. Very sweet without being sentimental. Now I'M the one crying xx

Just me said...

"not wishing to be anywhere but exactly where I was " ... I think that might be the definition of real contentment.

I am very happy to read this. Your mood reflects my own, half way around the world. Different reasons, same efect.

All the best from Switzerland,
Ali

Just me said...

effect (don't we all hate to publish a typo !!)

Barb said...

Its scary just how quickly time does pass, and how we have to create and grab those bits of joy in our lives, appreciate the sweetness of them and ingrain them in our hearts and minds so we don't lose them. Its great that you took some time to just BE. YAY for spontaneity!!!!!

Kathy said...

This is a beautiful picture of seizing your days and dwelling in them fully. I love that, so much.

Jamie said...

I'd recognize that red lighthouse anywhere... makes me homesick, but in a good way. some of my best memories are of summers spent on Lake Michigan, jumping off that same pier. it's wonderful to enjoy the moment and make those kinds of memories, I hope you know your daughters will cherish them just as much as you will. in fact, thanks to this post, I'm going to email my mom and make sure she knows too. xo

Kelly said...

That beach is my happy place. I played on the same beach as a kid, now my littles play on it. I love it there.