Sunday, July 07, 2013

third coast relay.

A few snapshots from a relay last weekend. Our twelve member team, Dirty Slow Hilarious (DSH), ran from Holland to Traverse City - about 208 miles. In about 32 hours, we each ran 3-4 legs of the race adding up to 16-20 miles a person - all with very little sleep or recovery in between legs. It was a great experience...so cool to see what you can accomplish as a team. I especially enjoyed my second leg - a 6 1/2 mile rural stretch in Ludington called the Windmill Leg where there was nothing but dirt roads, corn fields, and windmills. I don't think I even saw a car pass - other than our team van who stopped to snap some pictures of the setting sun. "This is pure Michigan right here," they said. I was tired and sweaty and yet exhilarated by the silence and beauty of it all. Running is so empowering and always reminds me that I am strong and can do hard things, like raise teen-agers and juggle work and school. Not to mention, the gratification of the celebratory beer is even better after the delay and hard work. Next up is my first half marathon in October!

6 comments:

Barb said...

You are such a rockstar! I will be waiting t the fininsh of that half!

Barb said...

that would be FINISH.

Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carey King said...

Wow what an awesome race, I've never heard of one in this format sounds like alot of fun!! I've been so lazy with the racing this year, also hoping to do my first half marathon this year:) trying to pluck up the courage and strength for a cycle race called the 94.7 (its 94.7 km) think I should just enter and let the courage hit on race day;) I love spinning and cycling but nothing makes me feel more free than a good run, and nothing kills the stress like running. I love reading posts like this, great to read about other people who love to run! Well done!:)

phyllis nobles said...

you inspire me to get up off the couch and start training for a 5k!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds amazing Carin! I totally get what you mean about running...I come home from a good run feeling like the bastard lovechild of Rocky Balboa and Superwoman. Boy does that feel good. I haven't trained properly for months due to a knee injury and I am going crazy. Hoping to get back pounding the roads to do a 10-mile in October. Best of luck with your half - enjoy the journey and the run itself :)